Thursday, October 6, 2011

Grandfather's house

A little while ago, I had the opportunity to visit the house that I believe my Grandfather spent his childhood years. It was in a quiet little seaside town on the east coast Scotland and the owners at the time had done a beautiful job of restoring it. I love the character that old stone houses and buildings have but this one, because of family history, had special relevance. My Grandfather passed away when I was a young boy so I never really got to know him as well as I would have liked. I remember him as an interesting and intelligent man with a talent for music. He might be the person who first introduced me to cartoons and caricatures as I recall him showing me the funnies in newspapers or drawings that he had collected of people with these elongated noses and distorted eyes. This would inspire me to try and draw cartoons of events at my Grandparents house and caricatures of the two of them which they seemed to get a kick out of. My Grandparents played an important part in my life. While this isn't a cartoon, this one is for them.


No comments:

Post a Comment